The List: Mocks have Ogletree, Te’o, Cooper to BearsContinue reading.
The List II: Mocks had Brockers, Mercilus to Bears in 2012
Though Bears general manager Phil Emery is an even-keeled, affable, regular guy — he’d probably be a draft-nik if he was not an NFL GM — he seems to take a perverse delight in staying a step ahead of those who are trying to figure out what he’s going to do next.
And never moreso than in the NFL draft. Last year he not only drafted the player he wanted in the first round in Boise State defensive end Shea McClellin, but a player nobody predicted he would take. It doesn’t seem to get any better than that for Emery.
So even though all mock drafts come with a disclaimer — anything can happen in the NFL draft –the mock drafts of the Bears’ selection comes with an additional caveat: Phil Emery is trying to outsmart all of us.
Here is the list of players who were projected to go to the Bears in various published mock drafts last season (where they actually went in parentheses):
1. Michael Brockers, DT/DE, LSU (No. 14 to St. Louis)
2. Whitney Mercilus, DE, Illinois (No. 26 to Houston)
3. Quinton Coples, DE, North Carolina (No. 16 to New York Jets)
4. Kendall Wright, WR, Baylor (No. 20 to Tennessee)
5. Donatri Poe, DT, Memphis (No. 11 to Kansas City)
6. Dre Kirkpatrick, CB, Alabama (No. 17 to Cincinnati)
7. Jonathan Martin, OT, Stanford (No. 42 to Miami)
8. Stephon Gilmore, CB, South Carolina (No. 10 to Buffalo)
9. Luke Kuechley, LB, Boston College (No. 9 to Carolina)
10. Nick Perry, DE, USC (No. 28 to Green Bay)
11. Michael Floyd, WR, Notre Dame (No. 13 to Arizona)
12. Chandler Jones, DE, Syracuse (No. 21 to New England)
13. Riley Reiff, OT, Iowa (No. 23 to Detroit)
14. Melvin Ingram, DL, South Carolina (No. 18 to San Diego)
15. Kevin Zeitler, G, Wisconsin (No. 27 to Cincinnati)