Evan Rodriguez of Temple selected by Bears in fourth roundContinue reading.
Evan Rodriguez arrested in Miami Beach
Initially, Evan Rodriguez didn’t do anything wrong.
He was a passenger in a vehicle involved in an accident around 9 p.m. in Miami Beach Wednesday night.
But according to the Miami Beach police incident case summary, Rodriguez didn’t cooperate and was eventually charged with resisting without violence and disorderly intoxication.
Here is a timeline provided by the reporting officer.
* Officer told Rodriguez he needed his information. “For what? I don’t need this,” Rodriguez said, according to the report. “I’m an NFL player. I don’t need all the media stuff.”
* Officer informed Rodriguez that his information would be entered into passenger section of traffic accident report. He provided it but appeared to be upset.
* Rodriguez walked away then returned after several minutes while another officer was conducting roadside exercises on the driver of the car Rodriguez was a passenger in.
* Rodriguez walked onto the road toward the other officer, who had his back to him.
* Rodriguez was instructed to go back to the sidewalk as the other officer was conducting an investigation. He walked toward them again. Warned again, Rodriguez “refused” and stood in the middle of the roadway. Advised again, he said, “I’m hardheaded like that and I don’t have to listen.”
* A different officer told Rodriguez to go to the sidewalk because they were conducting an investigation. “I don’t need this. I’m an NFL player,” Rodriguez said. His behavior interfered with roadside exercises, the report notes.
* Officer told Rodriguez he was just a passenger and as soon as his information was entered into the traffic report, he would be released.
* Rodriguez went to sidewalk but then returned then walked toward an officer’s vehicle and screamed at the driver, “Hey man, you don’t have to do that.” The roadside exercises stopped again.
* Officers warned Rodriguez to sit and not interfere again or he would be subject to arrest. He screamed, “Where is the driver of that vehicle? I want to know where he is at. I got knocked out in the accident and you [expletive] didn’t do anything.”
* Rodriguez continued to scream at officers and the driver, who stopped the roadside exercises to engage with Rodriguez.
* A crowd started to gather.
* Rodriguez had “slurred speech, blood shot watery eyes and a strong odor of alcoholic beverage emitting from his breath.”
* He later apologized. “I’m sorry, but I was upset cause of the accident.”
Rodriguez is in the Miami area to work out with receiver Brandon Marshall. On Thursday morning, tight end Martellus Bennett said on his Twitter account that he was working out with Marshall and receiver Alshon Jeffery.
“We are aware of the reports regarding Evan Rodriguez,” the Bears said in a statement. “We are currently gathering information to learn more about the circumstances surrounding the situation.”