Inbound Blue Line train derails on Forest Park branchContinue reading.
Chicago Marathon 2013 Hub: Street closures, CTA routes, maps and more
The annual Chicago Marathon is this Sunday morning and besides heightened security measures in the wake of the Boston Marathon bombing, there are also the usual street closures and CTA reroutes. Here is our central hub for everything Marathon: news, maps, closure info, where to watch and more.
2013 Chicago Marathon Preview: The world converges on our city
Boston Marathon survivor ready to run in Chicago
Supt. Garry McCarthy: “I’m not worried”
Discarded clothing will be donated to homeless shelters
Sean Astin of ‘Rudy,’ ‘Lord of the Rings’ fame ready for Chicago Marathon
Things appear to be going well for Ventra at O’Hare ahead of the marathon
Old Style’s 1988 marathon commercial
Use this map to see what time periods different sections of the Chicago Marathon route will be closed to traffic:
Reroute information from the CTA:
Begins at approximately 6:30am, Sun, Oct 13
The following CTA bus routes will be affected: 3, 4, 6, 8, 9, 10, 12, J14, 18, 20, 21, 22, R22, 29, 35, 36, 44, 50, 56, 60, 62, 65, 66, 70, 72, 73, 74, 76, 77, 124, 126, 146, 147, 151 and 152.
- Blue Line: Longer trains will operate from 5am to 4pm.
- Pink Line: Longer trains will operate from 6am to 3pm.
- Brown Line: Longer trains will operate from 5am to 4pm. Service will operate every 10 minutes from 5am to 3pm.
- First train from Kimball arrives at Adams/Wabash at approximately 5:35am.
- Green Line: Longer trains will operate from 5:30am to 3pm. Earlier service will operate as follows:
- From Harlem/Lake: first train to Downtown leaves at 5:30am.
- From Cottage Grove: first train to Downtown leaves at 5:40am.
- Orange Line: Longer trains will operate from 5:30am to 3pm.
- Purple Line: Earlier service will operate from Linden with the first train leaving at 5:30am.
- Red Line: Longer trains will operate every 7 to 8 minutes from 5am to 6:30am. Service will operate every 5 to 6 minutes from 6:30am to 3:30pm.
DNA Info has a great round-up of locations to watch the race if you’re cheering someone on or just staring in awe.
The CTA is setting up multiple viewing areas by train stops. Check out the full list below.
- First Viewing Area – Grand (Red Line) Station – Miles #1, #3 and #12. Board a Red Line train and exit at Grand Avenue.
- Second Viewing Area – Monroe (Red Line) Station –Mile #2. Board a Red Line train and exit at Monroe. Walk two blocks south to Jackson/State.
- Third Viewing Area – Chicago (Red Line) Station – Miles #3.5 and #11.5. Board a Red Line train and exit at Chicago. Walk three blocks west to LaSalle Street.
- Fourth Viewing Area – Addison (Red Line) Station – Mile #7.75. Board a Red Line train and exit at Addison. Walk four blocks east to Broadway.
- Fifth Viewing Area – Sedgwick (Brown Line) Station – Mile #10.25. Board a Brown Line train and exit at Sedgwick Street. Walk a half-block north to North Avenue.
- Sixth Viewing Area – UIC-Halsted (Blue Line) Station – Miles #16 and #16.5. Board a Blue Line train and exit at UIC-Halsted. Use the accessible Halsted Street exit or the auxiliary Peoria Street exit. Walk two blocks north on Peoria Street to Jackson Street to view runners at Mile #16 in Greektown or use the accessible Halsted exit to view runners at Mile #16.5. NOTE: the Morgan Street exit is temporarily closed due to demolition of the bridge over the expressway.
- Seventh Viewing Area – 18th (Pink Line) Station – Mile #19. Board a Pink Line train and exit at 18th Street. Walk one block east to Ashland.
- Eighth Viewing Area – Halsted (Orange Line) Station – Mile #20.5. Board an Orange Line train and exit at Halsted.
- Ninth Viewing Area – 35th-Bronzeville-IIT (Red/Green Line) Station – Mile #23. Board a Red/Green Line train and exit at 35th-Bronzeville-IIT. Use either the 34th Street or 35th Street exit.
- Tenth Viewing Area – Roosevelt (Red/Green/Orange Lines) Station – Finish Line. Board a Red, Green or Orange line train and exit at Roosevelt. Walk east on Roosevelt Road toward the Museum Campus/Grant Park. Additional service will be provided on the #R22 Cermak-Roosevelt Express Shuttle for the duration of the race. This shuttle operates between the temporarily closed Cermak-Chinatown Red Line station and the Roosevelt Red/Orange/Green transfer station.