Bears expected to sign Rod WilsonContinue reading.
Chicago Bears roster cuts: Saturday’s moves
The Bears have made their moves to trim their roster down to the 53-man limit.
The Bears will undoubtedly be looking at who is available on the waiver wire and free agency after the league-wide cuts, but here’s a look at who was cut on Saturday:
The Bears terminated the contracts of vested veterans:
* DB Kelvin Hayden — cutting the veteran leaves the Bears with depth questions at nickel back and corner. He spent all of season on injured reserve with a torn left hamstring. The rise of Sherrick McManis and an up-and-down preseason didn’t help Hayden’s stance with Bears, who are in a youth movement.
* OL Eben Britton — suffered a hamstring injury early in training camp and didn’t return until the final exhibition against the Cleveland Browns. It’s a surprise move, considering Britton was active every game last year with an important role. He still remains an option to be re-signed later, but Michael Ola’s emergence in his absence stands out.
* DE Austen Lane – The Bears really liked Lane, whose high motor showed up during training camp and in a productive preseason. Cutting Lane was one of the Bears’ final and toughest decisions.
The Bears waived:
* LB Jerry Franklin – a semi-surprise move. Franklin stood out on special teams all preseason, earning some praise from special-teams coordinator Joe DeCamillis. The Bears opted to keep rookie Christian Jones.
* OL Taylor Boggs – the 27-year-old was the Bears’ backup center last season, but the offseason addition of veteran Brian de la Puente put him on the bubble.
* WR Chris Williams – a tweaked hamstring in the first exhibition limited his opportunities to show he can replace Devin Hester. Williams did show flashes of his speed, including a 73-yard touchdown catch, and might be a candidate for the practice squad, if he goes unclaimed. The Saints didn’t want to lose him last year when the Bears signed him off their practice squad..
* WR Josh Bellamy – broke out in the Bears’ final preseason game against the Browns, but the Bears need a roster spot for Marquess Wilson (broken collarbone) at the moment.
* DT Tracy Robertson
* DT Brandon Dunn
* LB DeDe Lattimore
* CB C.J. Wilson
* WR Dale Moss
* S Marcus Trice
* OL Ryan Groy
* DL Lee Pegues
* CB Al Louis-Jean
The Bears waived with an injury settlement:
* M.D. Jennings — the former starter for the Packers started off with the Bears’ starters but quickly faded, getting beat out by rookie Brock Vereen and veteran Danny McCray.