Chicago Aldermen flee city: Eight winging to D.C.Continue reading.
Chicago warming centers hours and locations
The city has extended the hours of its warming centers from 9 a.m. to 8 p.m. Sunday through Tuesday.
The city also offers these tips to protect you and your family from extreme cold:
- Wear several layers of loose, warm clothing.
- Keep your head, hands and feet covered when outdoors.
- Avoid alcoholic beverages.
- Recognize the symptoms of hypothermia: stiff muscles, shivering, puffy or swollen face, cold skin, slow breathing and mental confusion.
- Never use an extension cord with a space heater. Ovens should not be used to heat homes.
Additional city facilities, including police stations, libraries and park district sites may be made available to fill the void when Department of Family and Support Services facilities aren’t open.
For the most up-to-date information on warming centers in Chicago and to access transportation assistance, call 311.